• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Saldog's Basement Build Thread

Sorry, wording was poor. The RG-6 runs are going to all the same places that the Cat6 cables are going: upstairs bedrooms, upstairs living room, basement craft room, and basement guest bedroom. They are for allowing us to get more FiOS set-top boxes for TVs if we want, and to be able to put them where we want.

yromj said:
Just out of curiousity, why the RG-6 runs?

John
Wondering....don't we want RG-6 so we can "hard-wire to the internet connection " ?

A bit off the current discussion but what are you using to make the drawings? I would really like to be able to do that for what I am currently working with.

Microsoft Visio. I got it for an "educational" price, ~$60. Regular is close to $200. I use it at work as well, but even without experience using it, it's really easy to pick up.

Barney said:
yromj said:
Just out of curiousity, why the RG-6 runs?

John
Wondering....don't we want RG-6 so we can "hard-wire to the internet connection " ?

I think you are confusing RG6 (coax cable) with cat6 (ethernet cable).

Ok, didn't realize it could be used for FIOS boxes. I've been thinking that if we build a new house, the only place I'll need coax run to is the cenral equipment closet. Even if I didn't have a central equipment closet, I didn't see a need for coax to the TVs, so that's why I asked.

I still can't wait to see this room.

John

C'mon Saldog, I want more updated pics, you spoke so much of the progression at Bats GTG, I want next years trip to take a side excursion to your "finished" theater, so get cracking. Renata looks like she can handle a jigsaw. :angry-tappingfoot:

Yeah, yeah. I'll get to the pics this weekend. :teasing-neener:

Electrical and framing inspections on Thursday. I'm working from home that day so i can be here for them. Hopefully they'll go well, and i can start putting in insulation and attaching the OSB. :handgestures-fingerscrossed: :pray:

Our garage is currently full of 112 sheets of drywall, and 60 sheets of OSB, along with a shitload of R13 and R19. Should be fun!

I know that it is a hell of a lot of work.............but I am so jealous!!!

Enjoy every minute of it!!

Well, electrical inspection passed no problem. Although they are making me use "tamper-proof" outlets, and "arc fault" circuit breakers, which unfortunately adds a good $200 to the budget. Freaking inspectors being anal.

On the framing side, he wants to come back before we close up walls in order to see fire block installed around the perimeter (arrgh!), to see the soffit built, to see the insulation in, and to see the HVAC duct cut-ins. Then we can OSB and sheetrock. Only real PITA is the fire-block, because he wants something other than fiberglass insulation (even though that technically meets code, according to the interwebs). We'll use FireBlock foam insulation in some places, and Roxul mineral wool for the rest. Again, an extra $100 to the budget. Oh well.

Progress on the soffit and riser:

Using the drywall lift is fun :)
20120908_143937.jpg

Riser with insulation, before being all covered up:
20120909_140530.jpg

Riser, basically all done:
20120909_185630.jpg

Riser has 2 layers of OSB, forgot to mention that. It will have a step light on either side (you can see the box in the first riser pic), and an outlet in the front of it (also barely shown).

Well, it's been over a month and I'll bet something has changed...nudge...nudge... :angry-tappingfoot:

John

Ok, update.

Insulation is done, and we've passed the insulation inspection. Theater area is completely OSB'd.

Here is what is on my list for the next 2 weeks:

1) put up the last couple pieces of OSB on in the 'hallway' area, and finish soffit in hallway area
2) finish the shelves for the recessed speakers (i've done 1 of 3)
3) start drywalling the back rooms

Pictures!

First, the typical screen wall pic, marked with old duct tape
20121121_103740.jpg

Another of screen wall
20121121_103758.jpg

Back end of theater room, showing the bar
20121215_104112.jpg

Wider shot of front of theater
20121215_104122.jpg

Shot of theater and bar
20121215_104136.jpg

Nice work Mike!! Once that drywall and mud start going up, the finish line is in sight!!! Hopefully I'll be welcome to come help break it in :happy-smileygiantred:

Yes, the OSB is for soundproofing, but it also helps provide rigidity in areas where you might mount things like speakers and projectors. So we decided it was worth it to do the whole theater area in it.

Batman, you better believe it. Maybe next summer we all go to KoP again, then swing by my place on the way to DE? :)

hey, i know i talked to you about the wall accent lighting and you were talking about track lighting and not necessarily wanting to do that. This is similar to the fixture I described which you could get away with a standard line voltage to a regular ceiling fixture. Not exactly what we have (ours has 6 lights and can be adjusted a bit more, but i don't think lowes has ours anymore, at least not online), but it gives an idea.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_119080-47842-17608-000_4294774703__?productId=3050137&Ns=p_product_price|0

-adam

Back