• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt

PaulyT said:
^--- Just kite a lot (hit and run), and be sure to avoid him when he kneels to open those portals, 'cause if you hit him then it'll just rebound on you, from what I could tell.

What skills are you guys developing?

I finally beat him. I was overmatched and my inventory was really low on vitality boosting foods. So I had to take a long and patient path. Pain in the ass, but it's over. I am done with that quest. Moving on to the Bloody Baron now.

As for skills, I think I am doing the exact wrong thing and doing a little bit of everything.

ive been investing in the fire one, got to second level where you become sparky...
the teleport push thingy i have is leveled out on the first stage,
but i also invested in one of the mind reading thing.

dont forget to add this to the middle of the screen part, so it activates.

using the fire thingy, to get it to spark mode, you essentially hold down on it and direct.

FYI, during the Velen area quests, you'll find a woman who sells a potion that will let you reset and reassign your skill points. So if you find it's really not working out, you have the option to change it (for a price, of course).

The main reason to focus abilities in one area is so that you can unlock the higher levels, which require a certain number of points to be invested in the lower levels; I just opened up the third tier of skill points in the signs tree. If you scatter your points in all three trees, then you may never get access to the more powerful abilities.

Well, this is just my own philosophy, maybe it works just fine to be a "jack of all trades"... I've just never done it that way myself. (The previous Witcher games were similar in this regard.)

How exactly do the ability points in the character tree work? I know I have been assigned several from places of power, but when I go into the tree menu I really only have one icon available to be placed into a slot. And the only slots available are on the top left of the tree. But I know I have received way more than one ability point so what does that mean?

Also, what do you do with books and letters after you read them? Is it ok to sell them or should I hold on to them?

There are two parts of the skill tree. One is the abilities (left side), this is where you spend ability points to make your various skills more powerful.

But to actually *use* these powered-up skills, they have to be placed in the skill slots on the right side. These slots open up as you level up. There are also slots for mutagens, which further enhance a group of up to three special abilities. The color of the mutagen must match the color of the ability in order to boost it (e.g. blue mutagen for signs skills).

This is another reason to "concentrate" your ability points, because you only have so many slots to put the skills in. And if you have one red (swords), one blue (signs) and one green (alchemy) in your group of three, a mutagen placed in that slot will only affect one of them. OTOH, if you have three (blue) signs skills in that group, a mutagen will boost all three. You may not have encountered mutagens yet, but you can see if you have any available by going to the mutagens tab in the skills page. Eventually, you can craft higher-powered mutagens.

Hopefully this makes sense...

PaulyT said:
There are two parts of the skill tree. One is the abilities (left side), this is where you spend ability points to make your various skills more powerful.

But to actually *use* these powered-up skills, they have to be placed in the skill slots on the right side. These slots open up as you level up. There are also slots for mutagens, which further enhance a group of up to three special abilities. The color of the mutagen must match the color of the ability in order to boost it (e.g. blue mutagen for signs skills).

This is another reason to "concentrate" your ability points, because you only have so many slots to put the skills in. And if you have one red (swords), one blue (signs) and one green (alchemy) in your group of three, a mutagen placed in that slot will only affect one of them. OTOH, if you have three (blue) signs skills in that group, a mutagen will boost all three. You may not have encountered mutagens yet, but you can see if you have any available by going to the mutagens tab in the skills page. Eventually, you can craft higher-powered mutagens.

Hopefully this makes sense...

Yeah that makes sense. I have two mutagens (green and blue). And I have 3 slots open all on the same tree, which is the upper left part. What I don't understand is why I only have one assignable icon (from the yellow family of icons). I have received many ability points, but only one icon is active. Thoughts?

You need to manually assign the ability points to one of the skill icons in the left side. Have you done that? That is, does it say "Available points: 0" or do you have some number that haven't been assigned? Once you assign at least one skill point to one of these advanced abilities, then you can move that into the groupings on the right (and enhance them with mutagens).

PaulyT said:
You need to manually assign the ability points to one of the skill icons in the left side. Have you done that? That is, does it say "Available points: 0" or do you have some number that haven't been assigned? Once you assign at least one skill point to one of these advanced abilities, then you can move that into the groupings on the right (and enhance them with mutagens).

Ok, I think I see...I have 10 points available. I see that pressing square on some of the will trigger action Acquire Ability. Crap, I've been fighting with one hand tied behind my back!

Thanks!

Eh... early on it might not make much difference, but as you get to higher levels, you can really start to leverage these special skills in your combat style. I'm still working out how to use traps (yrden sign) effectifely...

the skill levels are unlocked after a certain number of points are invested. I think the first level requires 6 points. scattered or focused it doesn't matter, this just unlocks the next tier.

Im at work so hopefully this works....

the left side shows the ones you can invest your points in, but is useless until you place it in the chart on the right.

the middle or the right column is the active skills you have to manually enter or activate.

1548090_1596495173930998_5134478156197656727_o.jpg

the mutagens help 'enhance' whatever you choose to use. the red ones help the red ones, the blue goes for blue and so on. that's why pauly was mentioning that you have to make em 'together' to get the maximum benefit.

Ok this is hysterical - in Novigrad, there's an elf whose last name is Hattori, who used to be a master swordsmith but now sells dumplings. Sound at all familiar? :laughing:

PaulyT said:
Ok this is hysterical - in Novigrad, there's an elf whose last name is Hattori, who used to be a master swordsmith but now sells dumplings. Sound at all familiar? :laughing:

I know! met him yesterday on my trekking the city, and he told me about his story... too bad required level or suggested level is at 26... I was looking forward to it!

I have the guide just in case yall want me to dig in to look for stuff. I rarely go thru it, but at times it has helped me out figuring what I want to do with certain quest, or hold off and level up.

I finally go the village with Hendrik. Man, the graphics on this, astounding! great game, this will last even after batman is released.

Where is everyone in the game? I am slow, on Level 8. Messing around in Velen still before I move the story on to Novigrad.

I just started in Novigrad after finishing all the Velen quests that I could; level 13.

jumping back and forth in velen and novingrad. pimpin Griffin style armor. still level 8 tho.

wont be moving on too much, patch apparently is screwing the game a bit, but also a new one to be released today.

Have either of you sucessfully accessed a locked door? I've seen a bunch but can never find the key.

Jomari, by the way I am not experiencing the XP bug on PS4.

I've gotten through a few locked doors - usually involves finding a key either from a person, body, or some loot container in the area.

most of the times, the keys are found close by, loot a body close or by a quest. some even by bandits.

the one in west orchard, close to the bridge, there is a underground treasure that is locked. the key is in the body nearby on the foot of the bridge.

just a handy tip, if the enemy you are fighting has no 'rank' and shows a red skull it means one hit kill. for example, a drowner would read 4, and nekkers are at 6 I think...

jomari said:
most of the times, the keys are found close by, loot a body close or by a quest. some even by bandits.

the one in west orchard, close to the bridge, there is a underground treasure that is locked. the key is in the body nearby on the foot of the bridge.

just a handy tip, if the enemy you are fighting has no 'rank' and shows a red skull it means one hit kill. for example, a drowner would read 4, and nekkers are at 6 I think...

Yeah, that one was super easy to find, but I am looking for keys to locked doors in Velen and I cant seem to find shit.

I think sometimes the keys are associated with quests, which if you aren't doing, you won't have...

Back